Day 47 Leaving Rome

Monday January 21st.

We wake up and decide to head south. We rent a car (Lancia) 250 Euro for the week and a 50 euro fee for being able to return it anywhere in Italy. Unfortunately we could not get a GPS as that requires the car to be returned to the original rental location. My GPS has stopped working -very disappointing. Our destination is Sorrento which looks like a resort town – I hope we can find cheap boarding in the off-season.

The Drive takes a lot longer than it should as we get lost but eventually make it. Some very long tunnels connect the Peninsula with the Napoli region. We arrive as the Sun is going down and park in a garage. We head out on foot looking for lodging,

The hotel Pam picked during the drive wants us to rent 2 rooms at 300 euro a night – no thanks. The next hotel offers us a room for 200 Euro but Pam asks inside a bar which sends us to a hostel - Ostello Le Sirene which gives us a room for 80 Euro including parking. It is a little cramped but it includes breakfast and a private bathroom.

Aria and return to move the car – I am short o the parking fare – he lets me go – I even return later and the attendant does not accept the difference – I am glad I tried to pay – I think the girls noticed and it is an important lesson.

The only thing that ends up being bad about the room is it faces the street where people go to smoke cigarette smoke often permeates the room. Very uncomfortable.

I aging am having trouble finding internet access - starting to become an issue as work is penetrating my dreams.

We have dinner in a busy Piazza – we are still the first ones eating it is after 7pm. I still do not get the Italian schedule. After we go to bed Pam goes downstairs to get some water at the bar and at 1am it is packed and the bartended is the same guy we see in the morning at 7am for breakfast -when do they sleep?

Sorrento is ok – it feels like a resort town off-season but there are still a lot of people.

Popular posts from this blog

Motivation

Day 44 Leaving Cairo - Rome